Tuesday 13 July 2010

International Students and Racism



As a former international students and a teacher who has been working with international students in the last 3-4 years, I can't stand some attitudes that my students have to put up with. I am not saying that most of them had experienced racism. Some of them do..and racism comes in different forms. I found this excerpt from the Australia Association of Social Science and it motivates me to write about this topic. I states:

"International students are often viewed only in terms of their economic usefulness to the host country, and the focus is on expenditure, rather than their income situation. Although street crime victimisation is reported, there are many other types of crimes or abuses and perpetrators: employers who exploit, educational colleges which behave rapaciously and unethically, the behaviour of some immigration agents and landlords, to name a few. For example, some landlords, it is claimed will not rent to Indian students. This constitutes racial discrimination. There have been claims of landlords expecting sex for rent (and sometimes in addition to rent). There are cases of exploitation through overcrowding, poor conditions such as no smoke alarms.
Understanding the context of the student can complete the policy picture."

This is ridiculous form any points of view. What can we do to protect our students? I, personally, think that the University and State government MUST work together to protect our students. I know this is seen as an old-fashioned argument by some people but, to me, it is the sustain way to protect our student and to ensure we provide a fair service to them, while they are in our country.

1 comment:

Andrew Brown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.